Crispy Catfish Banh Mi Sandwiches
This classic Vietnamese style sandwich pairs a crunching carrot-cucumber slaw and spicy mayonnaise with flash fried catfish fish fillets.
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup rice flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce, divided
- 2 (8-ounce) Harvest Select catfish fillets, halved lengthwise
- Frying oil
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 soft hoagie buns or individual baguettes, split lengthwise and toasted
- Carrot-Cucumber Slaw
- Cilantro sprigs
Combine breadcrumbs and next 3 ingredients in a shallow plate. Whisk together egg white and 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce. Coat fish in egg white mixture and then dredge in breadcrumb mixture pressing lightly to help breadcrumbs adhere. Place on a rack and let stand while oil is heating. Heat oil to 375 degrees. Fry fish in two batches 5 minutes or until done. Combine mayonnaise and remaining 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce; spread evenly inside bread. Place one portion fish in each bun; top with slaw and cilantro.